Thursday, October 28, 2010

Service: Earth Organics Spa at SM Sta. Rosa

Last week, I experienced some twitching on my right shoulder that went up to my neck and down my back. I tried massaging myself and also asked my husband to massage me using liniment oil, hoping these would relieve me of the muscle aches. But three days after, the pain worsened and I couldn't raise my right arm, sit up straight or use the computer anymore. So I decided to have a massage.

We live south of the metro (San Pedro, Laguna), where there aren't very many spas and wellness centers to choose from. I was thinking of trying those spas that line up the national highway, but husband suggested we go to SM Sta Rosa instead because he saw one there (and because he wanted to take advantage of the free WiFi while I'm having a massage).

The spa that he was referring to is Earth Organics Spa, located at the second floor of SM Sta. Rosa. When we went there, an attendant immediately gave us a flyer (pricelist of the services they offered) and ushered us inside. I chose their Signature massage, a combination of different massage techniques including Shiatsu, Swedish and the traditional hilot. It costs P399 for 1 hour, which includes the use of the shower room. But because I still have my period that day, I chose to skip the shower and just had my feet washed instead.




After waiting for few minutes in the lobby, I was led into the massage room. It was a bit smaller and had only a curtain wall that separates it from the adjacent room. While I was having a massage, I could clearly hear what the other customer and therapists were talking about in the next room. And I'm pretty sure they could hear us loud and clear, too. The therapists were even talking to each other at one point. I really wouldn't mind it, if only the client in the other room was not a male. Imagine yourself lying there almost naked and only a thick curtain separates you from another naked... urgh, nevermind. So that's a little minus point for privacy.

The massage itself was relaxing. My therapist was obviously very experienced and she hit me in all the right places. When she got to my back, she said that my muscles were very tensed and I had lots of nodules or what is known as lamig, which hurt when she started putting pressure on them. She had to break up the nodules, otherwise my shoulder-neck-back pain will not go away, so I had to bear the pain.

In between wincing, I asked her if they offer bentosa, a cupping technique that is said to be very efficient in relieving lamig. She said the spa does not offer it but one of her colleagues knows how to do it and if I want, I can just pay her friend to do a bentosa on me. When I asked how much is it, she went out and asked her friend. P200 for bentosa using traditional glass and candle, she said. I didn't know then how much is the going rate for bentosa so I agreed to the price. Then I told her that I would extend an extra half-hour and would her want to devote those additional 30 minutes in massaging my shoulders and back. That's how bad they hurt.

After a few minutes, the friend entered the room. I couldn't see what she was doing, although I do have an idea as I have seen the technique on TV before. Moments later, I felt the glass sucked a part of my skin on the back. Then the other therapist slid it gently up to my shoulders, down to my waist, and let it lingered longer on areas where I had the most lamig. They said lamig looks like a lump on the skin once the glass went over it.

It hurt a little, especially when the glass slid on areas with less oil. But I swear, I felt great relief right after this procedure. It was as if I had freed my back of a very heavy load. When my therapist continued massaging my back, the muscles were less tensed and the aches were gone. She said I have marks all over my back but they will fade in a few days.

She then proceeded to massaging the rest of my body and I liked it a lot when she did the stretching (Shiatsu part of the massage). She noted how flexible I am because she can bend my body effortlessly in different directions.

Time flies fast when you're having a massage because the one and a half hour was soon over than I want it to be. My therapist told me to lie still for a few more minutes because I might feel woozy if I get up right away. She went out to get me a cup of ginger tea. When she came back, she handed the tea and a small envelope.

She also reminded me that the payment for the bentosa is separate from my official bill and must be given directly to her friend who did it. Because I didn't have smaller bills, she offered to hand the money to their receptionist/cashier. She came back with the receipt and my change. I expected the envelope, but I wish she didn't stand there as if waiting for me to put money in it. I just find it very awkward.

The Verdict


The place is ok but it's nothing special. I couldn't comment on the shower room because I wasn't able to try it. But I really didn't like that the massage rooms were separated only by curtains. I don't mind it being a little smaller, but I do like to feel some sense of privacy when I'm having a massage.

The staff were friendly and polite. But I felt cheated with price of the bentosa because I learned later that on other spas, it doesn't go beyond P100. Some are even offering it for free. I know not everyone can do it, but it was a rather very simple and short procedure for P200. I hope the management would not allow the therapists to offer and put a price on their own "services". Also asking for a tip is okay, but it would be nicer if they can do it discreetly, without making the client feel that it's compulsory.

The massage was very good. At P399 for 1 hour, it was something I'd definitely go back for. The 1 1/2 hour was also discounted because I only paid P550. My body felt so light. My shoulder and back aches didn't go away until after a few days , but I felt a lot better after I had the massage.

Overall, my experience with Earth Organics Spa was ok, not outstanding but good enough. I might go back, but we'll probably get the couples' room next time.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this review! ^^
    i actually know how to perform ventosa and it's very simple. maybe i'll post about it in the future so you won't even have to pay for it. :)

    ReplyDelete