Thursday, September 19, 2013

Movie: Insidious - Chapter 2

Insidious, Insidious, Insidious. I liked the first chapter (although not as much as I liked The Conjuring - read my review here) so when I learned about the Insidious Chapter 2, you could say I looked forward to watching it. The fact that it was directed by the same person who directed The Conjuring - James Wan - and that Insidious Chapter 2 was no. 1 in the US during its opening week added to the anticipation.


I find the first Insidious movie a pretty decent horror flick, with an original plot, a good cast ensemble, and dotted with a couple or more scary scenes that were actually scary. The only thing that disappointed us, me and my husband, and made us laugh (yes, we laugh at horror movies that don't live up to our expectations), was how the ghosts were made-up. I mean, literally the ghosts' makeup. I thought it's the case of having too much that they look funny instead of scary. They looked like clowns or Heather Ledger's Joker, which I think was intentional - a lot of people are scared of clown-looking ghosts apparently - but it just didn't work for us.

So expecting that the 2nd installment will most likely have the same clown-ghosts, I counted on James Wan's earlier success with The Conjuring, to build up my anticipation and somehow, to make me believe that this movie can be better than the first. It can even surprise us, and beat The Conjuring in our scoreboard.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. I remember reading a review somewhere: "Just because it's not as scary as the first one, it doesn't mean it's a bad movie". And this is exactly how I feel. Like the first movie, Insidious Chapter 2 employs the same old-style scare tactics (with less clown-looking ghosts, yay!), has the same reliable cast that delivered good performance, and a solid story that picks up from where the first left off, which even went further by explaining some of the events in Chapter 1.

It is a good movie on its own. But it's just not as creepy and goose-bump-eliciting as it's predecessor. For me, it was the extended focus in the astral/spirit world that diluted the scare intensity of the entire movie. Even in the first chapter, I find the haunted house to be the better stage to launch effective jolts and jumpy, haunting scenes than the dark, unchartered spirit realm.

So is Insidious Chapter 2 worth watching? Yes, I can say that, especially if you enjoy the first film and would like to know what will happen next. But don't expect too much. Also, a bit of a spoiler: that scene of the white lady in the trailer, for me, is the lone scary scene in the entire movie. There were a few that came close, but that was it. So really, don't expect too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment