Monday, August 15, 2011

Product: Beauty Products for Pregnant Women

Pregnancy made me more conscious of the things that I take in and put on my body. I learned a lot that we deemed okay, even healthy, prior to pregnancy can be in fact harmful to an unborn child. On top of the list are the beauty products that we use everyday. This prompted me to carefully examine every product that I use, and discontinue those that are suspect or proven to be unsafe for pregnant women.

Ingredients that I took note of and labeled as "unsafe" are Salicylic Acid, Retinoids, Tretinoin, Hydroquinone, Parabens, and Phthalates. I also discarded anything that says "whitening".

PRODUCTS THAT I KEPT USING

Ilog Maria Honey Propolis Shampoo
While a lot of pregnant women complain about falling hair, I didn't have that problem at all thanks to Honey Propolis Shampoo. I actually have fewer hair fall now since I started using this natural shampoo.


Human Heart Nature Moisturizing Shampoo and Body Wash
The problem with Honey Propolis Shampoo is I feel my scalp is not clean enough because it doesn't bubble (as much as I want) and it's leaves my hair very rough and sticky. This is why I used HHN Moisturizing Shampoo for when I want a clean-scalp feeling, although it also makes my hair coarse and sticky, but not as much.Plus, it's better scented than Honey Propolis Shampoo.



Ilog Maria Milk & Honey Soap and Royal Jelly Cleanser & Moisturizer
Keeping the skin clean and moisturize is important so I decided to keep Ilog Maria Milk and Honey Soap (for general cleansing) and Ilog Maria Royal Jelly Cleanser and Moisturizer (for moisturizing). I have proven these two natural products to be gentle on my skin. I use them both on my face and body. For the meantime, I'm applying the RJ Cleanser and Moisturizer on my tummy because I still haven't research the safest lotion to use. I still have a looong surgery scar that goes from just below my navel down to just above my "private" area, and a small portion at the end of the scar is not yet completely healed (OB told me that I might be allergic to the surgical thread and my skin is reacting to it).


Johnson's Baby Milk Bath
I don't apply lotion because my husband doesn't like it when my skin feels sticky, so I need my body cleanser to be less drying and more moisturizing. I think I get that with Johnson's Baby Milk Bath, which I alternate with Ilog Maria Milk and Honey Soap.

Dr. Kaufman's Sulfur Soap
One of the biggest challenge of acne-prone women like me is that we tend to get more acne-prone when we're pregnant. And true enough, less than two months into my pregnancy, my zits erupted. And since most anti-acne ingredients are a no-no, I was preparing myself to resign to my face's fate. Until I found out that Sulfur and Zinc Oxide are actually safe for pregnant women, and these two are the main ingredients of a local and inexpensive soap called Dr Kaufman's Sulfur Soap, which is also known to be a pimple-fighting product. And the best part is, it effectively dried up my pimples.

St. Ives Timeless Skin Daily Microdermabrasion
When I run out of Ilog Maria Milk and Honey Soap, I rummaged through my mom's "beauty" basket for something that I can use. Good thing I did that because I discovered St. Ives Timeless Skin Daily Microdermabrasion that brought back the much needed glow on my skin, and made it smoother and more supple. Label says it's gentle enough for daily use and it's really tempting to use everyday because of the effect that it leaves on my face.

Ilog Maria Feminine Wash
I went back to Ilog Maria Feminine Wash after I stopped using Betadine Feminine Wash because it's a safer alternative (I think).

PRODUCTS THAT I STOPPED USING

Creamsilk Hair Conditioner
I've been wanting to switch to a natural hair conditioner but I've yet to find a product that's readily available in my area so I stuck with my trusted conditioner, Creamsilk. I've been using this product for the longest time because it works so well with my hair. And I was surprised when I found Metylparaben among its list of ingredients.

Shulammite Carrot Soap
Although my favorite soap at the moment, I have no choice but to stop using it because it has a whitening effect.


RCC Amazing Touch Antibacterial Facial Lotion
Although Clindamycin is relatively safe for an unborn child, this product does not list the other ingredients that it contains so I decided to go safe and discontinue using it while I'm pregnant.


Betadine Feminine Wash
On my first visit to my OB after I learned I was pregnant, she recommended that I use Betadine or GynePro as my feminine wash. I bought Betadine because GynePro was not available, and used it everyday since (I was one-month pregnant then). I know the direction says to use it only twice a week but I thought if I use it everyday, I will be less susceptible to UTI and other infections. I'm infection free for the past 4 months but I found out the Betadine may cause hypothyroidism and goiter in the fetus. Gasp!

Disclaimer: This post doesn't recommend but merely lists down the products that I'm using and those that I stopped using for the reasons given above. By being "natural", a product doesn't necessarily becomes safe and hypoallergenic. Commercial products, even if they don't contain Salicylic Acid, Retinoids, Tretinoin, Hydroquinone, Parabens, Phthalates and are non-whitening, may still have other chemical ingredients that may have adverse effects on the pregnancy and the fetus. It is best to consult with your OB before using any product.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Sheng! I'm happy for you. Ingatan mo baby mo. :)

    Sadly, I lost mine. I had a Blighted Ovum. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lexi :) Sad that you lost your baby. Di bale, try again. God bless sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great to know the kauffman is safe for pregnant woman.. if ever i get pregnant someday i mean.. nyahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a complete list of harmful ingredients you should look out for when you are pregnant. Avoid these at all costs! https://www.ladysoma.com/harmful-ingredients-for-women-pregnant

    ReplyDelete