Thursday, February 24, 2011

Product: Active White Plus Bleaching Cream

Before this post misleads you, I am reviewing Active White Plus Bleaching Cream NOT as a facial product. Read on to find where I used it.

I haven't recovered from my Boracay fever so this post has still something to do with our honeymoon/wedding anniversary trip to the island. While I was searching for new swimwears to don at the beach, I was also faced with another concern. My body is not perfect and so is my skin. There are some parts that, let's just say, darker than the others. And if I were to wear bikinis, I'd risk revealing those "areas". Well, they are not really dark like gross-"ew!" dark. But the uneven color is noticeable especially since my thighs and hips are whiter than most parts of my body.

So I set out to find a solution. The first stop was Watson's Drugstore (Actually, it's the only place I had in mind). While my husband was buying the other toiletries, I was so absorbed in scanning all whitening products on display and in reading all those ingredients in fine prints until my eyes hurt. Anything with Paraben, I placed back into the shelf. I'm not really an organic buff, but I know that the Paraben is bad enough for major cosmetic industries to refrain from using it in their products. Although, the subject is debatable, I just want to be on the safe side.

Anyway, after more than an hour of reading, I finally settled on Active White Plus Bleaching Cream. The ingredients and the price looked reasonable and I assumed it's a facial product. I read somewhere that inguinal areas are as sensitive as our face so any harsh products might irritate and make them darker. So I zeroed in on products that are formulated specifically for facial use and deemed them safe and mild enough. But that's only my theory, nothing scientific nor medical, so don't quote me on that one .




Active White Plus Bleaching Cream comes in a small 15g  tub. It retails at Watson's for P179.75. Active ingredients include: Hydroquinone, Retin A, Glycerin and Aloe Vera Extract.



Consistency is thick and creamy and the scent is very faint and almost undetectable.



I only had less than two weeks to whiten those areas before we head to Boracay, where I might, just might, decide to wear a bikini. So I applied this religiously everyday on my inguinal areas and on my lower butt (the part just beneath the curve), along with A Bonne Salt Scrub. On some days, I also applied it at night before I go to bed.

And the result?

Well, I kept the cover-ups on while in Boracay. But had I decided to be more daring, I can confidently do so without worrying about those dark "areas" because I noticed that the areas where I applied the cream on were significantly whiter than they were two weeks ago. And since they were not really dark dark to begin with, the color was almost even. Any difference, I believe, will not be noticeable even under the bright beach sun. They also felt smoother and softer.

I was more than pleased with the result of Active White Plus Bleaching Cream. So much so that I am contemplating on using this on my face as well. But I'm quite satisfied with whitening effect of Shulammite Carrot soap at the moment, and I really don't want to risk having major breakouts again from trying different facial products.


My tub is almost empty but I plan on purchasing another Active White Plus Bleaching Cream again, and also to use it in other areas that I feel could use some whitening. Glad this was the one that I settled on--cheap and very effective.

UPDATE 04/06/11: Someone pointed it out to me that Hydroquinone might not be a safe ingredient. I've heard issues about Hydroquinone before, but after I've watched a local dermatologist saying on national television that it is safe to use on skin, I wasn't bother with the fact that Active White Plus Bleaching Cream has Hydroquinone.

Anyway, the remark prodded me to make a cursory search (I know very few sites are reliable when it comes to medical facts, so I choose those that I think are authoritative).

Is Hydroquinone Safe?
This effective spot-bleaching ingredient is banned in some European and Asian countries, largely because of studies in which cancer developed in rats that consumed extremely large amounts of it over extended periods of time. And last year, the FDA announced that it was reexamining the safety of hydroquinone. However, most U.S. experts — including the American Academy of Dermatology — stand firmly behind the drug. "Hydroquinone has been used over the last 40 years, and there has not been a single documented case of either skin cancer or internal cancer associated with it," says Dr. Friedman. Like all drugs, it needs to be used properly, and he recommends that his patients apply it no more than twice a day for no longer than six months. Adds Dr. Hirsch: "When used as intended, and for a finite time, this drug is safe and is the most effective treatment available for pigmentation. Period." [Source:WebMD]

A brief review of hydroquinone
... Hydroquinone (HQ) has a long history of safety when used properly. It should not be used if you are pregnant or in the process of conceiving. You should notify your doctor of any other medical conditions especially kidney or liver disease. It is available over the counter in 2% concentrations which are generally weak an useful in mild cases of hyperpigmentation or for maintenance. As a prescribed medication it commonly prepared in 3-7% concentrations. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you adhere to strict regimen of avoidance of sun exposure while being treated with HQ and institute application of sunscreen at all times. [Source: Otto Joseph Placik, MD - Chicago Plastic Surgeon / RealSelf.com]

Having read these statements, I thought I should warn you that this product should be applied no more than twice a day and should not be used for prolonged periods (not more than 6 months).

I'm on my second tube now and I'm using it to whiten my underarm after a DIY underarm waxing disaster I had 3 weeks ago (more on that on a separate post). I'll probably use up the cream but it'll be unlikely that I'll purchase again because by then, it might be my 3rd or 4th month using Active White Plus Bleaching Cream. Just want to be on the safe side.

40 comments:

  1. wow talaga? i'll try this nga once i give birth. para magandang maganda ako after my ML. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mura lang kasi kaya I tried para di nakakahinayang if di magwork. But fortunately, effective siya sakin. Try mo sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. nice dahil effective. congrats. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sis, ask ko lang how often did you apply it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tsina, thanks :)

    @chie, hi sis, I applied it once a day, on some days, twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowow i bought this one already for trial

    ReplyDelete
  7. @nessellyn, please tell if effective din sayo. I had to stop using it because I'm pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ms Sheng. I bought one last Saturday after reading your review. I'm using it for my singit din. medyo humapdi line ng singit ko after 5 days of applying. may ganun po bang effect talaga? or naparami lang siguro ang lagay ko? or hindi hiyang? every night lang po ako nag aapply. Hope to hear from you. Thanks :) -kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kat, are you allergic to hydroquinone? Baka yun yung cause ng paghapdi. I didn't experience any sting naman when I applied it, so I guess it's hiyangan lang din talaga :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Siguro nga po, hindi hiyang sakin. My skin is super duper sensitive! nakakainis. haha. I also tried the carrot soap you're using after ko rin mabasa ang review mo, isang beses ko palang po ginamit, nangangati na skin ko. Thanks Ms.Sheng! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok po ba sa underarm ung active white? ano na po ang result sa inyo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ang mhal dito nyan s zamboanga 300 plus just bought today ,di ba yan nkakatakot if s face ilagay or underarm?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi po..ask q lng if tlaga bang mamumula ung skin pag 1st time na nilagay ung creme?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous 1, I haven't use it on my underarm. But I think it's okay.

    @Anonymous 2, I didn't use it on my face as I think it would be too harsh for me.

    @Anonymous 3, Yes, namula din skin ko sa simula pero nawala din naman. I think it's because of hydroquinone. If you're allergic to it, better not use it especially on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi sis... after mu ba mgscrub nilalagay yan? i've been using a bonne' collagen scrub n good nmn ang effect. kaso hindi prn sa inguinal ko eh... kc hindi ako mkrcover from my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi another Anonymous, I used it after I take a bath. I have stopped using it though because I got pregnant. I wanted to use it again because my inguinal areas became dark again due to pregnancy. But I couldn't find the product at Watson's anymore. I'm not sure if Active White discontinued it because I noticed they have a different whitening cream now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi ask lng po if pwde po bang gamitin sa lahat ng parti ng katawan ang cream? gusto ko po sanang pumuti. ano po ang maari kung gamitin sa katawan na bleaching cream pra pumuti. pls lng po. insicure po kasi ako sa mga hipag ko lahat sila mapuputi at makinis pag magkasama kami nahihiya ako. tnx from cebu

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think it's intended sa lahat ng parte ng katawan, so I won't advise it. Hanap ka na lang ng ibang whitening cream for body use. Or try using whitening soap + Gluthathione

    ReplyDelete
  19. Instructions nga po how to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. pwede po ba sa TEEns yan? 16y/o ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Anonymous1, just apply it on the skin.

    @Anonymous2, no IMHO. I won't really recommend it to someone as young as 16y/o. It might be too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi.. Sna active p mga peeps d2 or ung blogger. Meron p kea ni2 sa mercury drug stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes meron po yan sa mercury at sa savemore..at sa mga grocery store

      Delete
  23. By the way,i will use it kc sa pusod ko.. Umitim kc cia dhl sa pregnancy ko... (its called linea negra) sbe sa ginawa kong research bleaching creams daw with hydroquinone at glycolic acid,which is ung ingredients ng prod.n2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you currently pregnant? Please don't use ANY whitening product, it's bad for the unborn baby.

      Delete
  24. Semi-active yung blogger, hehe. Parang wala na akong nakikitang Active White Bleaching Cream even in groceries/supermarket and drugstores like Watson's and Mercury. There is another Active White cream which has L-glutathione but it also has Metyl Paraben, that's why I don't plan on buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. is it effective in the UA area ? because i was looking for a good and fast product ,and when i was about to pick up the gt bleaching cream the saleslady said that active white bleaching cream is more effective and kinda gives a more lasting effect. but I was searching for some reviews of this product and when i read the reviews i wasn't satisfied ... anyways my point is ...- is it effective and fast when using in the UA part?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! So interesting,u know im tempted to use this coz.i have hyperpigmentation,pero im afraid po sa hydroquinone ,safe ba talaga ito sis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nagtry ako nyan mahapdi sa mukha at ngpepeel prang maxipeel ung hapdi nya.. Pero sa unang week lng nman ganun..

      Delete
  27. Hi guys. If lhat ng body part want nyo pmuti try nyo active white bleaching soap whitening gluta. S akin effective Sya. 2nd day plng micro peeling effect n. Scrub or lgyan lng ng lotion ok n. Then 3rd day back to normal n skin ko. Wlang sting effect khit s umpisa plng. Im on my 5th day n pero npansin ko nag gglow n nga skin ko. Di kc pntay kulay ko. Ngaun nag papantay n halos. Feeling ko pumuputi aq kya super satisfied aq.
    .. Plan ko din bumili ulit neto sa hypermarket kc wla neto s groceries nmin. Pti s friends ko ni recommend ko toh kc super happy tlaga aq sa result. Hiyang kc aq

    ReplyDelete
  28. pano gmitin ang active white bleaching cream? iiscrub b yan then babanlawan ng water o ipinapahid lang ktulad ng ibang cream bgo lumabas at matulog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After washing your face at punasan ng towel saka ilagay ang active white bleaching cream. Mas mganda kung before bedtime ka mglalagay.. Sa unang week ng pglalagay mahapdi at nagpepeel..

      Delete
  29. pano gionagamit ang Active White Bleaching Cream, ini scrub b yan then babanlawan ng water o katulad yan ng ibang cream n ipinapahid lang after malinis ang face .

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi sia nabasa ko yung review mo..kabibili mo lang kanina ng active white bleaching cream sa mercury..tanong ko lang sis magpepeel ba yung face ko problem ko kz yung dark spots ng pimples ko ang tagal matanggal kaya naicip ko itry itong active white bleaching cream...magpepeel b xa o hindi sa face? and ok lang ba xa ilagay morning and night please reply sis maraming salamat godbless po

    ReplyDelete
  31. hi sis ask ko lang if ok lang ba na 2 timea aday ko xa iapply sa face ko morning and night problem ko kz tlg ang pimple marks sa face ko..ask ko lang din if magbabalat ba ang face ko sa active white bleaching cream please reply sis salamat godbless po

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tanong ko lang po maganda po ba yung CARROT SOAP ? Effective po ba sya pampaputi?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Maganda po ba yung CARROT SOAP Active white??? First time ko lang po kaseng gagamit

    ReplyDelete
  34. Directions pls.ng active white soap bleaching....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bkit wala po ako mahanapan ng active white bleaching cream. Naghanap npo ako sa Watson, mercury.,hbc. Wala. Ang meron lng cla is whitening cream. Same lang po b un.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Better make sure it's listed with the other safest skin whitening products before you get one. Perform a spot test if you do get one.

    ReplyDelete