Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Movie: Thor: The Dark World

Thor: The Dark World reminds me why I like the Marvel Comics movies better than their DC Comics counterparts - because they are a lot more fun to watch. I'm sure many will claim that The Dark Knight is better than all of the Marvel movies combined, and I won't argue on the merits of the film. But when I watch a superhero movie, I want to feel like I'm watching a superhero movie and not a dissection of the superhero's human persona (whether they're actually human or alien). I want to feel excited when the superhero appears on the screen. I want to feel giddy like her leading lady.



And this 2nd installment of Thor does exactly that, and interjected of a number of witty jokes and funny scenes, like they did in the 1st movie, which somehow makes it feel similar but still different. One big difference is that most of the scenes take place in Asgard. And I mean, ASGARD because it looked absolutely majestic and breathtaking. The way they created this otherworldly realm is truly a visual feast. I am not fond of watching in 3D because I get nauseated after, but I really appreciate the grandiosity of the Asgard sceneries behind my 3D glasses.

Another plus point for me is Loki. Maybe it's just me, but he looked really cute here (the hair?). Thor is as hunky and handsome as ever, and can still sweep you off your feet, or should I say fly you off to another world like what he did to Jane, but Loki exuded a different charm. Proud, sly and treacherous, but somehow softened and vulnerable, the least liked Loki shares the spotlight with his more popular brother. And there's something about his smile, something that I find quite attractive.

And speaking of attraction, of course there's the interrupted love affair between Jane Foster and Thor. Jane remained beautiful, smart, spunky and kick ass, despite being supposedly a damsel in distress in this movie. But while I still get that "how lucky she is to have Thor" thoughts whenever Thor comes to her rescue, I find something is lacking in their chemistry. It seemed to me that they were just acting out their feelings, instead of actually feeling them.

Also, I wish they had pursued the love triangle angle between Thor and Jane, and Sif (Thor's female friend) to add intrigue to the story. I thought they laid it out in the beginning, with Sif seemingly flirting with Thor and later, giving Jane that "so it's you" look when she came to Asgard. But that was it. No catfight ensued, too bad. Or maybe, it's just a prelude to the next sequel.

And then, there's Darcy (the crazy, nosy intern) and her intern (yes, the intern got herself an intern) and Erik, who has somehow gone insane after being under Loki's control in The Avengers movie, Thor's circle of friends, Odin and Frigga and the rest of the cast that as a whole complements the film.

But! One thing that I find weak, and perhaps a major flaw in this movie, is the plot. While the villain, Malekith and the Dark Elves, looked menacing and destructive enough to pose a threat not only to Asgard and Earth, but to the whole universe, the story is nothing new. You get an old enemy with an oath of vengeance, you get the lady love involved and in danger, you get a dashing superhero to save her while saving the universe. It's old, and a rehash of a rehash or a rehash of another story. And the solution to the problem had me scratching on the head. I mean, I've seen that transport-the-enemy-to-somewhere-else-because-he's-too-powerful-to-be defeated resolution used in a number of movies already.

But of course, this is not the kind of movie that you need to analyze and dissect and interpret. It is straightforward, a story for the kids, as some would complain. But the visual imagery, the stunning effects, the exciting action, the comical lines, and for the ladies: Thor's heart-melting stare and Loki's mischievous but cute smile, added the needed dimension and entertainment-value that the plot lacked.

Thor: The Dark World, like it's predecessor, is a fun movie to watch. I had expected the humor and visual effects, and it didn't fail me. It's not exactly mindless as most "straightforward" movies go, but you might need to loosen up and leave your analytical, puzzle-solving hat at home. It's an eye-candy, yes, but also very entertaining and action-packed, so just enjoy the ride! And definitely, it's a must watch for superhero-comic-turn-into-movie fans out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment