Monday, April 9, 2012

Food: Classic Savory Beef Noodle Soup

Classic Savory Restaurant is known for their fried chicken, and that's what I usually have whenever we eat here. But that changed when they started serving noodle soup, Beef Noodle Soup in particular.

The first time I tried their beef noodle soup, I thought it was so delicious. The strong beefy flavor of the broth (the kinda of flavor you get from simmering the broth for hours), the thin, firm Hong Kong-style noodles, large and tender beef chunks, green Chinese pechay leaves and hints of familiar herbs and spices -- everything that I want was there. A large bowl costs less than P200, which is large enough to share with 1 or 2 more people, especially if you ordered other items from the menu. But as a single dish, I still think it's more than enough for 1 person.



Since then, I always favored Classic Savory over the other similar restaurants whenever I want my fried chicken to go with a noodle soup. But, a recent visit to the restaurant to satisfy my noodle soup craving confirmed what I have been feeling about my favorite comfort food lately -- that it is no longer as good as before.



I guess I saw it coming as I noted that  the solid contents were becoming fewer. Again, I had to prop up the noodles with the serving spoon, otherwise you would barely see them. The quality of the noodles had changed, too. They were less firm, less enjoyable. Or maybe there was simply not enough for me to enjoy.

The beef chunks became smaller and fewer, although they're still tender but somehow less flavorful. And the soup tasted a bit more artificial, like more flavorings were used instead of the natural flavor of a slow-cooked beef broth.

Actually, Classic Savory's Beef Noodle Soup is more of a sabaw now (a perfect complement to a rice meal) rather than a noodle soup that you can enjoy as a complete dish. It's still good, I guess, when you're dining with the whole family or with a few friends, and you want a soup to accompany the other dishes. But if you're alone and just want a hearty noodle soup for yourself, the amount of broth might overwhelm you.

I find it a little disappointing because I thought I found a go-to place for my noodle soup cravings. Some good things just don't stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment