Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Place: Bolod Beach, Panglao Island, Bohol

Said to be the longest and best shoreline in Panglao Island, Bolod Beach is a 1 1/2-kilometer stretch of unspoiled white-sand beach and is located at the southern part of the island. Unlike its more popular neighbor, Alona Beach, Bold Beach is a quieter, less crowded area which allows tourist to enjoy the beach more. This is the reason why I chose an accommodation in Bolod Beach.

When my husband told me that he will be working during our vacation, I knew that we won't likely be able to do our planned Bohol tours. So I thought at least, I can make it feel more holiday-like by staying at the most beautiful beach in Panglao Island.

And how does Bolod Beach fare? Let's take a look:

 



  
Captivating, isn't it? Indeed, the view is spectacular. The blue sky is seamless with the clear azure waters, and both are in perfect contrast with the verdant green landscape and cream-white sand of the island.

However, when we first strolled the beach, early morning of our 2nd day, the first thing that we noticed are the algae, shells and dead corals that littered the shore. This made it not comfortable to walk barefoot in some areas.



Large, dark patches in the water also caught our attention. When we went closer, we found out these are mini coral gardens where a few marine creatures have taken shelter.






Starfish in the water

Sea Urchin on the sand

D holding a small starfish

And a bigger one

Sea Urchin in the water

At first, I thought this is so cool, that even in the shallow areas of the beach, marine life is abundant - just goes to prove how rich and teeming Bohol's seabed is. But this can be alarming for children who usually frolic near the shore because they can get stung by sea urchins or something else (I'm not sure if starfish bites). There are sections near the shore and past the coral gardens that are bare and seemingly safe to swim in. I guess it will be up to parents to steer clear their kids from these "inhabited" parts.

So what do I think of Bolod Beach?

Annoying as it is to be always comparing all the beaches you've been to, to Boracay, I can't help it. While Boracay isn't exactly algae-free, you can walk on its sand without fear of being wounded or getting stubbed. The soft, powder-fine white sand is consistent over a large area of Boracay's shore. Its sand also stays cool under the heat of the sun.

Bolod Beach's sand isn't as fine and as we strolled the stretch of the shoreline in front of South Palms Resort and Bohol Beach Club, it is obvious that the quality of the sand varies. It tends to get coarse and rocky towards the end of the resort (the one nearing the cliff that separates Bolod Beach to Alona Beach); the best part is in front of Bohol Beach Club and the adjacent half of South Palms Resort. The sand also warms up as the sun peaks.

Bolod Beach is beautiful, no doubt about that - the water is crystal clear and everything about it looks pristine - but I guess I just expected too much. Even my husband was a little disappointed.

But then, a surprise came the next morning. We weren't planning to stroll the beach anymore but when I looked outside our villa, I saw a band of blinding white sand that had appeared a few meters away from the shore. A mini-sandbar!




 


 
 

 
 
You need to get past the mini coral garden to reach it, but the water stays knee-deep. On the sandbar, I found the super fine, milk-powdery white sand that I was pinning for the day before. I'm not sure if this sandbar is temporary as I haven't read anything about this. But it sure was a treat for us. From this vantage point, everything we look at was simply marvelous.

However (there always seems to be a catch), as I was scrubbing myself with the sand, I noticed a tiny worm wriggling on my sand-covered skin. I was reminded of that show "The Monster Inside Me" where small parasites get inside a human host and the worst things happen. So immediately, I rinsed myself in the sea and went back to our room to have a proper bath.

Despite that, I still had fun in the sandbar. I just hope that no worm got inside me. *Crossing my fingers*
 


 
 
And because of this sandbar in Bolod Beach, we were able to enjoy and had a wonderful beach experience. I hope we will see it again the next time we visit Bohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment