Saturday, December 14, 2013

Place: South Palms Resort Panglao - Reservation

South Palms Resort Panglao is the newest luxury beach resort in Bohol. They recently opened last December 1, 2013 and we had the pleasure of staying at this spanking new resort on December 7-9.

They boast of having the longest stretch of pristine, white sand beach in Panglao Island, and a number of tropical-styled but well-appointed rooms and villas that are specifically built to complement and blend with the relaxing view of the ocean and the lush forest of palm trees, without sacrificing comfort and modern luxuries.



But first, let me go into a lengthy introduction on how we found this latest beach destination in Bohol.


Budget Travelers in a Luxury Resort

We are basically budget travelers. When we go on a week-long vacation, my first agenda is to get the best budget accommodation that I can find. And initially, that was the plan for this 8-day Cebu-Bohol sojourn.  So how did we end up in this luxury resort?

For Bohol, I was searching for a budget resort along Alona Beach, preferably with swimming pool and a free breakfast. But Alona Beach, it seems, has a narrower share of sand that is often crowded with tourists and vendors due to the many establishments that lined up the shore, and even their part of the sea is littered with boats that ferried tourists to other islands.

I found out that Bolod Beach is the better option, with finer sands, quieter and less crowded area, and a wider stretch of shoreline. So I planned to book a room in Dumaluan Beach Resort 2, because they fit my requirements: budget-friendly, beachfront, with swimming pool, Wi-Fi internet and free breakfast for 2.

But as fate would have it, Bohol was struck by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. We still wanted to push through but decided to wait for news and feedback from other tourists who've gone to Panglao post-earthquake before booking an accommodation, so we can have an idea of the situation in the province and the resorts near the beach.

Then, just when everything seemed okay, super typhoon Yolanda came and wreak havoc in the neighboring islands. Bohol, still reeling from the earthquake, was luckily spared and sustained very minimal damage. But their supply of electricity was cut-off because they were relying on the power plant located in Leyte, which was heavily affected by Yolanda's wrath.

Unfortunately, DBR2, like most of the resorts in Panglao, had to use generators to continue operation but they couldn't guarantee 24-hour electricity, and consequently, internet connection. This was a problem for us because my husband had informed me beforehand that he will be bringing some work. Electricity and internet connection are non-negotiables. It sucks that he has to work while on vacation, but he couldn't help it so I had to find an accommodation that can provide what he needs.

I figured the bigger, more expensive resorts are my best bet. And that's when I started considering accommodations on the higher end. Among my choices were Bellevue Resort, Panglao Island Nature Resort and Amorita Resort.

Amorita Resort, located in Alona Beach was my top pick, but they told me that their Wi-Fi is spotty and that they have brownouts during the day. Bellevue Resort and PINR both claimed they have stable internet connections and electricity but they are a bit secluded and far from the two main beaches in Alona and Bolod. They do have their own private beaches though.

PINR seemed the most practical because of the half-board meals and complimentary massage that are included if we will avail the Getaway Package (minimum of 3D/2N), although Wi-Fi in the resort is only available at the lobby. Still, the secluded location was putting me off. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a place with not much to do for 3 days. I knew my husband will be working and we won't likely be able to do any of the tours so I wanted an accommodation that will allow us to enjoy the beach, at least. I was also considering access to other places to eat, in case the food in the resort's in-house restaurant turned out to be too expensive and/or not quite good.

Then, as if guided by fate, I decided to visit South Palms Resort's website. I learned about them from a forum post which said that Bohol Beach Club was closed but will reopen as South Palms Resort Panglao by the end of this year*. Bohol Beach Club was an old player in the luxury hotels/resorts field in Bohol, and has the advantage of having the best sand and shore in all of the resorts in Panglao. (*BBC is undergoing renovations but will still reopen as BBC. BBC and SPRP are under the same management.)

The website of South Palms Resort Panglao had been under construction for a while, so I wasn't expecting to find anything. Imagine my delight when I saw the website loaded with information regarding the newest resort in Bohol. It's finally up and they are accepting reservations. I was more delighted when I checked the promotions page - they were having a soft-opening promo which included - guess what - half-board meals. And they have in-room Wi-Fi access.

Located in the best beach area in Panglao, with half-board meals included, complimentary in-room internet connection, free airport/seaport transfers, with 2 swimming pools. Suddenly, the choice was clear. Immediately, I sent an email inquiring about the reservation.


Reservation/Booking

I sent an email in the evening and received a reply from Des, their reservation officer, the following day. The promo was available only to those who booked during the travel fair in SMX last September but she said they will extend their introductory rate to me, which was 30% off their regular room rates, because our stay dates fall within their soft-opening period. To reserve a room, I was told to deposit 50% of the total amount to their bank account and provide my credit card number. But I was hesitant to give my credit card number through email and offered to pay the full amount instead.

Thereafter, our communication had been fast and smooth. After I made the deposit and emailed them a copy of the bank slip, she sent me a confirmation letter containing details of the booking and check-in procedures.

Des was prompt and polite all throughout our correspondence, and even asked me how I would like to be addressed. She answered all my queries, took note of my requests and replies to my emails within the day (unless of course, I emailed at night).

However, there was one important thing that she forgot to inform us - that we need a deposit fee of P2000 per night of stay upon check-in, for incidental expenses. I think this is SOP in most high-end hotels/resorts but I would appreciate if we're told beforehand. Good thing I was able to withdraw some cash before we went to Bohol.

Despite that, I still feel that the reservation/booking process was hassle-free and will commend Des for being efficient and quick to reply. I just hope they will be able to accept credit card or Paypal payments in the future as online reservation is a lot more convenient.

Continue to the rest of the review...



South Palms Resort Panglao
Web: http://www.southpalmsresort.com/
Email: info@southpalmsresort.com
Toll Free: 1-800-1888-7777
Info: +63 38 502-8288
RSVN: +63 38 501-3088
Mobile: +639177167609

No comments:

Post a Comment