Friday, February 11, 2011

Place: Boracay Island

My husband and I were Boracay virgins until we decided to celebrate our one-year-delayed-honeymoon-slash-1st-wedding-anniversary in this island last February 2 to 5. And to say that we were excited was an understatement. We were exhilarated.

The days leading to our first Boracay trip were spent scouring shopping malls and buying the things that we will need: traveling bag, swimwear, toiletries, pasalubong (for my husband's relatives whom we will visit in the nearby town of Nabas, Aklan), accessories, etc. I also did a thorough research on the internet for the most practical accommodations, places to eat and water activities to make sure that we'll have a blast without burning deep holes in our pockets. (I will review these 'finds' in the succeeding posts.)

When everything looked set and covered, I braced myself for this:



Arriving at Boracay, I was surprised to find that it pretty much resembles some cities in Metro Manila. Except maybe for the terrain, the locals speaking in their native dialect and the density of foreigners, everything feels the same: sprawling establishments, busy crowd, honking vehicles, etc. I remember thinking, maybe it's because we're not yet at the beach area. So I waited for that moment.

Our tricycle dropped us at the entrance of the infamous D'mall. D'mall also turned out to be a surprise because I was expecting it to be like the "usual" souvenir shops area, with meager stalls displaying their goods. But no, it is a mini shopping mall (except that it's open-spaced) where both high-end brands and local wares can be found. The ground is paved on most parts and the whole area looks like a posh market plaza.

When we emerged from D'mall to the beach front, I was no longer surprise to see that the whole stretch is littered with different sorts of business establishments. Boracay is like someone having an identity crisis who has, so far, successfully managed to stay sane. The white, powdery sand and clear blue water will remind you that you're far from the pollution of the city, but the shops and restaurants that lined up the beach will make you feel that Boracay is a city in itself and you're right smack in the middle of it. Rest and relaxation meets comfort and convenience. The best of both worlds, as they say.

I only have one complain though. For people like us who were traveling on a budget, I find the foods in Boracay horrendously expensive. And this is despite the fact that I've listed all the supposedly affordable but still decent restaurants and we've exerted efforts to locate them. I found a few but still, at the end of every meal, I find myself trying to justify the amount we paid for the food that we just ate. Cheap by Boracay standards, but not necessarily cheap by mine.

Expect for this however, everything is perfect. The place, the people and the atmosphere. Different kinds of people from all walks of life will find something that they will enjoy in Boracay. It may be the beautiful beach, the laid-back ambiance, or the engaging vibe, the great parties, or the many things that one can do in the island. Boracay will be happy to cater to everyone.

Surely, Boracay had me smitten and it had planted a longing in my heart--a longing to go back. I'm sure it's not the most beautiful beach in the Philippines and it is no longer the pristine island that some people hoped it to be. But it has a different charm that makes people come back to it again and again. And I am one of those people. Yes, I have resolved to go back there again.

Till then, Boracay.

3 comments:

  1. oh man! I suddenly want to go back and visit bora again :( It's just sad how tourist trash the place at night. Every morning there's so many dirt in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the swimsuit pics? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chew On This, I want to visit boracay again, soon. :)

    @Lexi, shy eh.

    ReplyDelete